What I walk through every day.

What I walk through every day.

Sunday 28 November 2010

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming (or running)...

Hey people,

So as some/most/all of you know, I’m a runner. Some people may call it jogging, but I don’t like that verb. Runner sounds far more impressive. And, to be honest, I don’t really jog, I go a bit faster than a “jog”. There is my justification.

Anyway. I’ve been “running” on and off for about 4 years now, more off in the past year or so, but I was a very regular runner for a long time, and now I am starting to rekindle my love of it.

I remember when I first started properly. I was 15, school had just finished, and I was trying to find things to do to pass the summer holidays before college. I’d gone for a couple of runs through the local park, but I could literally only manage a couple of minutes before I felt sick, and I would get these really intense headaches when I got home because I wasn’t used to the adrenaline of exercise. I wasn’t fat, certainly not overweight, but after dancing from when I was 4 until I was 14, I pretty much just stopped doing anything whatsoever apart from walking. For the most part, I was very lazy. I decided to try and get fit.

So, during that summer, I went running, and gradually (and I mean, very gradually) built up my stamina. It didn’t help that at that point I was buying cheapo trainers, and in due course I hurt my knee, which happened on a regular basis until I spoke to someone who told me about a shop where they sell PROPER sport shoes. They put you on a treadmill, you try out the trainers, the fit, and it means you’re far less likely to damage yourself through being unsupported.

I think I’m waffling.

So, eventually over the course of a couple of years, I built my stamina up to the point where I was doing about 7 miles each run, which took me about 70 minutes (so I was running about 6 miles an hour, for a short girl, not that bad, right!?) At that time I had very poor body image, and I got very skinny what with running so much and not eating as much as I should have done.

Then I went to university, and although I was still running, I gradually loosened my self-control, ate (and drank) a lot more, and put on some weight. Due to work, going out, and being lazy, I stopped running so far, and that gradually reduced to not running as much either. I was still running, but I didn’t feel the same motivation every time where I WANTED to run.

I’m now in my third year of university, and although i have been on runs on and off since that first year of university, I’ve decided that i am going to get properly back into it. And there’s a couple of reasons why.

Firstly, I really do adore running, even if I don’t go as often as I should do (and I say “should”, just because there may be a preconception where runners go running every day, when in reality, it’s actually better if you don’t). I love the adrenaline rush you get during, but especially after, a run, and I love how the time just passes. You’ll be at one part of your run, and it almost feels like you take a breath, and you’ve run 3 miles. It’s an amazing feeling. Sometimes it really does feel like you’re just floating. Yeah, running can be hard work, but it’s SO worth it.

I’m an outdoor runner. And this is really the second best reason why I love running. When you go running outside, no matter what the weather is, it just feels good. Especially when you find some really nice places to run through. Nice may not be the same for everyone. I’m perfectly happy to run along arterial roads, through housing estates, through town centres. To be honest, some of the best places I have run have been down roads with REALLY fancy houses, especially at Christmas time when they have all their nice lights and decorations up. I don’t really understand people that only run on treadmills- I personally can’t do it because I feel restricted, and I end up getting stitches very early on in the run, when ordinarily I don’t get stitches. Whatever works for you I guess!

I love running at sunset- to leave the house and it be evening, and, having run through the sunset, to return when it’s dark, it just feels so good. And I can’t even begin to describe why.

Living in Toledo now, I have FINALLY discovered the track where everyone tells me is really good to run- alongside the River Tajo. Luckily it’s not that far from my flat, and I go about 3 times a week at the moment. I’m running about 20 minutes continuously, and although that is not as impressive as my longest runs, for where I was, I’m really happy with the pace I’m at. I’ve been doing it for about 3 weeks now, and I’m already so pleased with my progress. It’s a beautiful track, and it’s really quite long (I haven’t quite gotten to the end yet, I’m not sure where it comes out, and how I would get back to my flat!), it has hills and the ground is flat. It’s perfect.

I’m lucky in that, as I’ve been a dancer and have been running for a few years now, it only takes me a little time for my muscles to come back to ease the running process. I can really just run for a couple of times a week, for a couple of weeks, and for whatever reason, my legs just snap back into shape. The rest of me takes a little more time, but that’s ok.

I’m not running now to lose weight, but to feel fit and strong again feels so amazing. Toledo seems like a city of runners, any time of day, wherever I am, even in the streets with cobbles, there will be someone running. And that really makes me happy. Whenever I see someone running, wherever I am, I actually feel jealous, as well as happy. I wish I was running at that moment in time. I want to know what their route is. I’m not sure if that’s a normal reaction.

But hey, I’m a runner!

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment