What I walk through every day.

What I walk through every day.

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Rainy Spain!?!

Hola,
This is a particularly English post- it's about the weather. In case any of you reading this are not English, the stereotype about the English obsession with weather is very much true. If there's ever a lull in the conversation, the silence is often filled with, "Oooo what a nice/horrible day it is today!"
Anyway.
The English have this idyllic picture of Spain, of a country made up entirely of beaches, and one that is sunny all year round. Well, for a start, I live in the centre of Spain which, unless you are a bit rubbish at geography, means that there are no beaches around here.
But also, it is RAINY. The past few days it has been stormy, we've had thunder, lightning, torrential rain, the works.
This lead me onto discovering that the Spanish have a saying which goes, "hasta el 40 de mayo no te quites el sayo", which literally translated is "Until the 40th of May, don't take off your raincoat", and so which really means, until the second week of June there isn't good weather all the time. How bizarre is that? Who would've thought Spain had normal weather?
The truth is I realised pretty quickly, after the September sun wore off, that Spain was a bit like England in that it too had rain sometimes. Granted, not as often as England, which is something that I have been SO happy about. I really do hate rain, and it rains far too often at home for my liking.
But anyway, I guess this is a post to highlight to all those people who just assume that I'm out tanning on a beach, that Spain does have places to live away from the coast, and that the sun does not always reign supreme.

I'm still pretty pale actually. Well, for me anyway.
:D

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about Spain. Ι started Spanish a year ago and I am in love with the language! However, I thought it would always be sunny in Spain just like it is in Greece.

    ReplyDelete