What I walk through every day.

What I walk through every day.

Sunday 10 October 2010

Language education in England....what a joke.

Hey people :)
I thought I would post this now, because I mentioned it in the last post, and it's something that gets me heated up whenever I think about it (I know, I'm sad.)

Education in England/the UK in general....not that bad, no? It's certainly not the worst. I'm not going into debates about the private/public sector. I'm pretty sure my feelings regarding the language education is the same no matter whether or not you paid a lot of money to be educated.

As I mentioned before, I have been learning spanish for a very long time. About 9 years to be exact. I started in Year 7, and have carried it on through college, and into university. Now, for that space of time, you would think that I would be somewhere near fluent. But the fact is I'm not. And that may be partly my fault, in that I haven't always been as pro-active with it as I could have been.

But the main thing I have a problem with is this- the first 5 years, I learnt barely anything. When I left with a GCSE in Spanish, I could barely conjugate a verb. I had no idea how to say, "I go" let alone "I went" or "I had gone." These to me, are the basic stepping stones to learn a language. If you can't use different tenses, how are you meant to express anything beyond "I want a beer"? (which is something that I've been told many times by people is the only thing they remember from their GCSE years). How sad. It wasn't until I got to college was I taught how to do any kind of conjugation. Even though I was 16 at the time, this made me mad.

Now, being here, with many different people from various countries also on a Erasmus year, if I complain to them, they say "Well, you speak English, everyone should speak English, so why should you worry about learning another language?" This shocked me. I thought it was just the English that had the mentality of, "We speak the most useful/the best/the most wanted language in the world, so why should we bother?" But apparently not. There have been a couple of people here who have come up to me and said, "OMG you speak English! I HAVE to speak English with you! I came here to improve my English!" Wait.....what? You come to Spain to improve your English? I kid you not. These people have no interest whatsoever in speaking Spanish.

I'm not trying to be rude but.....I already know English. I am perfectly happy in my English abilities. I mean, I've been learning it for 20 years now. I think I am kind of fluent. I for one came here to speak Spanish. Don't get me wrong, at times my brain can't deal with Spanish, and I have to use English, or if I'm talking to familiy or friends who don't speak Spanish, then I use English. But to choose to speak English here over Spanish, to me it seems a little "tonto" (stupid).

But I've gone WAY off topic. My bug-bear is the English system. I know people here who have been learning Spanish for barely a couple of years, and yet they know a lot more than I did after two years. Most of them already know English as well as their mother-tongue. How do they do this? I put it down to their education. And not just that, but their attitude. They are so much more open to learning languages. And I think that's where we're going wrong.

To counter this argument, of course, there are people in every country that just aren't very good at languages. I for one don't think I'd be able to speak more than two. And there are people everywhere that only want their mother-tongue. But it just appears to me that there is a disproportionate amount of people in England that feel this way. Maybe it's a United Kingdom mentality, maybe it also extends to the States, I'm not sure. I can only speak from my experience.

And this is why I do NOT want to teach languages in England, even though people tell me it's a viable career for me. No thank you!

:D

1 comment:

  1. Weeeeeeeeeeeell, according to numerous people we spoke to when you first moved to Spain, your Spanish is much better than you are stating here! Local people all said you were very fluent, as did the admissons person at Uni.

    However, I do agree with you that, on the whole, languages are pretty poorly taught, and people have to be pretty highly motivated, like yourself, in order to reach a high standard.

    And something else (yes I know I shouldn't start a sentance with 'and'!), it is much more effective to try and change a system from 'within ' than 'without'. Unfortunately, not only is the UK currently heading into quite a massive recession, as is most of the world, but also the average person in the UK-as you stated- really doesn't see the value in learning a langauage to a high standard.

    Maybe you should be asking, what can I tell students out there, that would convince them of the absolute value of having a secong language? Because (yes I know I shouldn't start a sentance with because...!) really and truly, there are only a few professions where an extra language really does give an advantage and warrent the extra graft of achieving that standard.

    Just my thoughts. I amy add to them, later!

    BTW your blog is a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete