What I walk through every day.

What I walk through every day.

Wednesday 13 October 2010

"Your pen almost dropping was the most interesting thing that happened this lesson....”

Hey people,

I thought I’d actually write something that is related to being a student. Not about doing work, just being a student. Although, the thing that I’m going to talk about, could be one the biggest reasons why I so fear I’m going to fail this next set of exams. FML.

Anyways, this is it- you go to class, you sit down, you can’t find a seat anywhere near the front. It’s ok, you think, I’ll still be able to hear the teacher, I’ll still be able to make notes, there’s nothing to stress about.

WRONG.

I have never experienced such rudeness in a classroom as I have here. And believe me, I’ve had some very lovely people in my classes in England. What I mean by rude is, people that talk incessantly, even while the teacher is talking. They talk so loud, that if you are anywhere beyond the first four rows of chairs, you don’t have a hope in hell of hearing anything.

Is this normal?

I admit, I talked a few times (understatement of the century) in my lectures in England. But there is a difference- in lectures, they always use microphones, everyone is spread out, so you're not really likely to disturb anyone. And if you do? Oh don’t worry, they will let you know. I’ve witnessed lecturers calling students out for talking, and asking them to come down to the front and explain what is so interesting. But in class? The only time i talk is to contribute to the class discussion.

Here, on the other hand, it seems that you can just talk whenever you want. Now, it doesn’t help that one of my teachers, in particular, has got the QUIETEST voice on the planet. When she talks it’s as if she’s having a private conversation with the people in the front row. Admittedly, that doesn’t help my plight. However, the talking is a problem in all of my classes.

People just chatter, they turn around to look at their mates (who are normally sitting in the row behind you, so you have these people staring at you every five minutes), they walk out of lesson early, they come in stinking of fag smoke.
The thing is, as a foreign student, I need to concentrate a bit harder than most to fully understand everything that is said. If I can hear everything, I am normally successful. But when I have what might as well be the buzzing of a mosquito in my ear constantly, the low rumbling of male voices, I often ask myself why I even turn up.

It’s getting quite depressing. I feel like I’m back at school, but a poorly-run one, where the teachers are afraid to say anything bad to the students.

Enough of my ranting, I’m off to find my Spanish dictionary to find the rudest insult I can.....

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment